I am currently a postdoctoral researcher at the Centre for Language Evolution at the University of Edinburgh, working with Jenny Culbertson .
I have defended my Ph.D Understanding semantic ambiguities in 2018, which I did under the supervision of Benjamin Spector and Emmanuel Chemla at the École Normale Supérieure. My thesis combines experimental and theoretical approaches to explore how humans understand and process ambiguous sentences involving plural expressions. You can find it here .
General research interests: Psycholinguistics, Semantics, Pragmatics, Quantification, Plurals, Ambiguity resolution, Reasoning, Processing, Universals.
Ongoing research projects
- Learning and cognitive biases for person/number pronoun systems (with Jennifer Culbertson).
- Contra-factivity cross-linguistically (with Andrés Soria Ruiz and Amir Anvari).
- Exploring polarity in gradable adjectives with a mouse tracking technique (with Ewan Dubar and Emmanuel Chemla).
Journal articles and proceedings
- Feiman, R., M. Maldonado , and J. Snedeker. (2020). Priming quantifier scope: Reexamining the evidence against scope inversion. Glossa: A Journal of General Linguistics, 5(1), 35. [paper] [OSF project]
- Maldonado, M. (2020). Plural marking and d-linking in Spanish interrogatives. Journal of Semantics, 37(1), pp. 145-170. [paper]
- Maldonado, M. , and J. Culbertson. (2019). Learnability as a window into universal constraints on person systems. In: Schloder, J., McHugh D., and Roelofsen F. (Eds.). Proceedings of Amsterdam Colloquium 2019. [paper] [OSF project]
- Maldonado, M. , Saldana, C. and Culbertson, J. (Forthcoming). Learning biases in the relative order of person and number markers. Forthcoming in Proceedings of the 50th Annual Meeting of the North East Linguistic Society (NELS 50). [abstract] [slides]
- Maldonado, M. , and J. Culbertson. (2019). Something about us: Learning first person pronoun system. In: A. C. Goel, C. M. Seifart, & C. Freksa (Eds.) Proceedings of the 41st Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Science Society (pp. 749-755). Montreal, QB: Cognitive Science Society. [pdf] [slides] [OSF project] [OSF preregistration]
- Anvari, A., M. Maldonado , and A. Soria Ruiz (2019) The Puzzle of Reflexive Belief Construction in Spanish. Proceedings of Sinn und Bedeutung 23 [pdf]
- Maldonado, M. , E. Dunbar, and E. Chemla. (2019) Mouse tracking as a window into decision making. Behavioral Research Methods [ journal entry ] [pdf] [more]
- Maldonado, M. , E. Chemla; B. Spector. (2019) Revealing abstract semantic mechanisms through priming: the distributive/collective contrast. Cognition. [ journal entry ] [more]
- Maldonado, M. , B. Spector, and E. Chemla (2017) Priming methods in semantics and pragmatics. Behavioral and Brain Science, 40 . [Commentary on Branigan, H., & Pickering, M. (2016). An experimental approach to linguistic representation. Behavioral and Brain Sciences , 1-73] [ pdf ]
- Maldonado, M. , E. Chemla, and B. Spector (2017) Priming plural ambiguities. Journal of Memory and Language, 95: 89 - 101. [ pdf ] [ journal entry ] [ bibtex ] [ More ]
- Sevilla, Y., M. Maldonado , and D. Shalom (2014) Pupillary dynamics reveal computational cost in sentence planning. Quartely Journal of Experimental Psychology, 67: 1041-1052. [journal entry]
- Maldonado, M. , Y. Sevilla, and D. Shalom (2013) La incrementalidad jerárquica en la codificación gramatical. Un estudio de movimientos oculares. In García, A., Orellano de Marra, V., Jaichenco, V. y Wainselboim, A. (Eds.). Lenguaje, cognición y cerebro . Argentinian Society of Linguistics.
- Kriz, M. and M. Maldonado . (manuscript). An experimental note on distributivity and scope. [paper and more]
mormaldo [at] gmail [dot] com
Centre for Language Evolution
Dugald Stewart Building 1.16
3 Charles Street Edinburgh