I am currently a postdoctoral researcher at the Center for Language Evolution at the University of Edinburgh, working with Jenny Culbertson .
I have (very) recently defended my Ph.D Understanding semantic ambiguities , which I did under the supervision of Benjamin Spector and Emmanuel Chemla at the École Normale Supérieure. My thesis combines experimental and theoretical approaches to explore how humans understand and process ambiguous sentences involving plural expressions.
General research interests: Psycholinguistics, Semantics, Pragmatics, Quantification, Plurals, Ambiguity resolution, Reasoning, Processing.
Ongoing research projects
- Exploring polarity in gradable adjectives with a mouse tracking technique (with Ewan Dubar, Alexis Wellwood and Emmanuel Chemla).
- "Reflexive" belief, (anti-)factivity and neg-raising in Spanish (with Amir Anvari and Andrés Soria Ruiz).
We will be presenting our work at Sinn und Bedutung 23 in Barcelona, here is the abstract!
- Evidence for an inverse scope operation. A priming approach (with Roman Feinman and Jesse Snedeker).
- Maldonado, M. , B. Spector, and E. Chemla (2017) Priming methods in semantics and pragmatics. Behavioral and Brain Science, 40 . [Commentary on Branigan, H., & Pickering, M. (2016). An experimental approach to linguistic representation. Behavioral and Brain Sciences , 1-73] [ pdf ]
- Maldonado, M. , E. Chemla, and B. Spector (2017) Priming plural ambiguities. Journal of Memory and Language, 95: 89 - 101. [ pdf ] [ journal entry ] [ bibtex ] [ More ]
- Sevilla, Y., M. Maldonado , and D. Shalom (2014) Pupillary dynamics reveal computational cost in sentence planning. Quartely Journal of Experimental Psychology, 67: 1041-1052. [journal entry]
- Maldonado, M. , Y. Sevilla, and D. Shalom (2013) La incrementalidad jerárquica en la codificación gramatical. Un estudio de movimientos oculares. In García, A., Orellano de Marra, V., Jaichenco, V. y Wainselboim, A. (Eds.). Lenguaje, cognición y cerebro . Argentinian Society of Linguistics.
- Maldonado, M. (in revision). Plural marking and d-linking in Spanish interrogatives [paper]
- Feiman, R.; M. Maldonado, , and J. Snedeker. (in revision). Priming quantifier scope: Reexamining the evidence against scope inversion.
- Maldonado, M. ; E. Chemla; B. Spector. (in revision). Revealing abstract semantic mechanisms through priming: the distributive/collective contrast. [paper, data and more]
- Maldonado, M. , E. Dunbar, and E. Chemla. (submitted) Mouse tracking as a window into decision making. [slides] [paper, data and more]
- Kriz, M. and M. Maldonado . (manuscript). An experimental note on distributivity and scope. [paper and more]
mormaldo [at] gmail [dot] com
Centre for Language Evolution
Dugald Stewart Building 1.16
3 Charles Street Edinburgh